Vancomycin dose recommendations depend on population pharmacokinetic models. These models have not been adequately assessed in critically ill patients, who exhibit large pharmacokinetic variability. This study evaluated model predictive performance in intensive care unit (ICU) patients and identified factors influencing model performance.
Retrospective data from ICU adult patients administered vancomycin were used to evaluate model performance to predict serum concentrations a priori (no observed concentrations included) or with Bayesian forecasting (using concentration data). Predictive performance was determined using relative bias (rBias, bias) and relative root mean squared error (rRMSE, precision). Models were considered clinically acceptable if rBias was between ±20% and 95% confidence intervals included zero. Models were compared with rRMSE; no threshold was used. The influence of clinical factors on model performance was assessed with multiple linear regression.
Data from 82 patients were used to evaluate 12 vancomycin models. The Goti model was the only clinically acceptable model with both a priori (rBias 3.4%) and Bayesian forecasting (rBias 1.5%) approaches. Bayesian forecasting was superior to a priori prediction, improving with the use of more recent concentrations. Four models were clinically acceptable with Bayesian forecasting. Renal replacement therapy status (p < 0.001) and sex (p = 0.007) significantly influenced the performance of the Goti model.
The Goti, Llopis and Roberts models are clinically appropriate to inform vancomycin dosing in critically ill patients. Implementing the Goti model in dose prediction software could streamline dosing across both ICU and non-ICU patients, considering it is also the most accurate model in non-ICU patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
ESCMID Member login
ESCMID Member, full access to the journal is a member benefit. Use your society credentials to access all journal content and features
- The pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties of vancomycin.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 42: S35-S39
- Review and validation of bayesian dose-optimizing software and equations for calculation of the vancomycin area under the curve in critically ill patients.Pharmacotherapy. 2018; 38: 1174-1183
- Therapeutic monitoring of vancomycin: a revised consensus guideline and review of the American society of health-system pharmacists, the infectious diseases society of America, the pediatric infectious diseases society and the society of infectious diseases pharmacists.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2020; 77: 835-864
- Vancomycin dosing in critically ill patients: robust methods for improved continuous-infusion regimens.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011; 55: 2704-2709
- Vancomycin dosing assessment in intensive care unit patients based on a population pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic simulation.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 70: 201-212
- Improving antibiotic dosing in special situations in the ICU: burns, renal replacement therapy and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2012; 18: 460-471
- Prospective trial on the use of trough concentration versus area under the curve to determine therapeutic vancomycin dosing.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018; 62 (e02042–17)
- Towards precision dosing of vancomycin: a systematic evaluation of pharmacometric models for Bayesian forecasting.Clini Microbiol Infect. 2019; 25: 1286e1-1286e7
- Hospitalized patients with and without hemodialysis have markedly different vancomycin pharmacokinetics: a population pharmacokinetic model-based analysis.Ther Drug Monit. 2018; 40: 212-221
- Pharmacokinetics of vancomycin and dosing recommendations for trauma patients.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016; 71: 471-479
- Vancomycin population pharmacokinetics during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation therapy: a matched cohort study.Crit Care. 2014; 18: 632
- Population pharmacokinetic parameters of vancomycin in critically ill patients.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2006; 31: 447-454
- Influence of mechanical ventilation on the pharmacokinetics of vancomycin administered by continuous infusion in critically ill patients.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017; 61 (e01249–17)
- Population pharmacokinetic analysis of vancomycin in patients with hematological malignancies.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005; 49: 4934-4941
- Vancomycin pharmacokinetics throughout life: results from a pooled population analysis and evaluation of current dosing recommendations.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2019; 58: 767-780
- Forecasting individual pharmacokinetics.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1979; 26: 294-305
- Some suggestions for measuring predictive performance.J Pharmacokinet Biopharm. 1981; 9: 503-512
- Prediction-corrected visual predictive checks for diagnosing nonlinear mixed-effects models.AAPS J. 2011; 13: 143-151
- A population pharmacokinetic model for vancomycin in adult patients receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation therapy.CPT Pharmacometrics Syst Pharmacol. 2016; 5: 495-502
- Population pharmacokinetics of vancomycin in patients receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2005; 60: 265-275
- Can population pharmacokinetic modelling guide vancomycin dosing during continuous renal replacement therapy in critically ill patients?.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2013; 41: 564-568
- Plasma and cerebrospinal fluid population pharmacokinetics of vancomycin in postoperative neurosurgical patients after combined intravenous and intraventricular administration.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2017; 73: 1599-1607
- Population Pharmacokinetics of vancomycin in postoperative neurosurgical patients.J Pharm Sci. 2015; 104: 3960-3967
- Population pharmacokinetics of vancomycin in postoperative neurosurgical patients and the application in dosing recommendation.J Pharm Sci. 2016; 105: 3425-3431
- Vancomycin pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic models for critically ill patients with post-sternotomy mediastinitis.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2014; 53: 849-861
- A multicenter study on the effect of continuous hemodiafiltration intensity on antibiotic pharmacokinetics.Crit Care. 2015; 19: 84
- External evaluation of population pharmacokinetic models of vancomycin in large cohorts of intensive care unit patients.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2019; 63 (e02543–18)
- Prospective validation of a model-informed precision dosing tool for vancomycin in intensive care patients.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2020;
Published online: July 13, 2020
Accepted: July 1, 2020
Received in revised form: June 12, 2020
Received: April 7, 2020
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2020 European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.